Thursday, January 10, 2013

ON A ROLL



I have a confession to make. I just pulled the last two cinnamon rolls out of the freezer and ate BOTH of them. 

This is a recipe that has been a holiday tradition in my husband's family for a very long time. It has now become our tradition, as well. I usually only make one batch of cinnamon rolls a year, and that is on Christmas Eve. This year I made two batches. We ate the first up so quickly that I had to make more to get us through to the end of our Christmas break. Yes, I did eat more than my fair share. I can't help it!

KELLER CINNAMON ROLLS

2 T yeast
3 C warm water
1/2 C sugar
3 eggs
2/3 C shortening
9 to 10 C flour
1/2 T salt
1 T vanilla extract
1 C dry milk


Dissolve yeast in warm water and sprinkle the sugar on top. Set aside.

Then add the eggs, shortening, 1/2 the flour (5 cups), salt, and vanilla extract to the yeast mixture and mix well.

Sprinkle dry milk on top of this and mix. Then, add the remainder of the flour (4 or 5 cups). Just add it until it feels right and isn't too sticky or too dry.

Let rise for one hour in a warm place. I usually set mine on a chair in front of the fire.


Punch down and divide. Roll the dough out on a buttered surface. Spread with soft butter and sprinkle plenty of sugar and cinnamon on top. Roll up and cut into 1/2" slices. 

Place on a greased cookie sheet and let rise for another hour.
  

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown on top. Brush with butter and let cool.


Use your favorite icing recipe to finish them off. I like to use the following buttercream recipe. It's a great recipe for decorating sugar cookies too.

Cream together 1 C shortening and 1 C butter.

Add 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Then alternate adding one 2 pound bag of powdered sugar and 1/2 C water. You can add less or more water depending on the consistency of icing you want.


The traditional way to serve these for our family is to immediately put them in containers in the freezer, pull them out one at a time, top them with butter, and microwave for about 15 seconds. 


DELICIOUS!!!!

I'm going to be in so much trouble for finishing them off!

1 comment:

  1. My mouth is watering - those pictures look so YUMMY; I don't think I have the self control to stop at two in one setting. Kelly Choules and I use to make cinnamon rolls back in the day. It would take us literally all day. Fun memory. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete